In My Father's House

Poems, Prayers, Inspirations, Photos and Musings about life, love and what it means to be a child of the Father

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In the Father's Hands

When I was a Jesuit novice I saw a most touching scene in a hospital that made me realize one important thing about God the Father. In the pedia ward of the Philippine General Hospital, a father and son caught my attention. The son, about 7 or 8 years old, was gasping for breath. The deep and sudden rise and fall of his chest indicated that he was in pain and great difficulty. The father was helping him breathe through the use of an Ambo bag as there was no available respirator for the son. The father was a picture of serenity and assurance.

With every gasp, the father would pump air into his son's lungs, thereby assuring his son's breathing. Any person knew that it was not enough to do that but at that time, the father was the only thing that was keeping the son alive. Yet I saw no panic nor heard any complaints from the father. He would just quietly pump oxygen into his son's mouth. From time to time, he would pause to wipe the sweat from his brow and his son's forehead. Then he would bend down to kiss his son's cheeks or utter words of encouragement to him (though I had know way of knowing for sure what he really said).

I never knew what happened to the son, whether he survived or not. I never learned what happened to the father either but one thing I knew was that the Father showed his son the best act of love that he could do. His son needed him by his side, and he was there. He never left the son during the time that he needed him most. He didn't mind the exhaustion of having to pump oxygen into his son's mouth again and again even though he wasn't sure whether his son would survive. At that moment, only one thing was in his mind: I have to be with my son because he needs me.

Whenever I reflect on this scene I could not help but cry. I know that God is exactly like that untiring father in the pedia ward: He never leaves our side especially when we are in great pain or loss. The son in the hospital might not even know that his father was by his side during his most difficult times. But his father was there nonetheless, like our own Father in Heaven. There have been many times (I'm sure you and I have) when we think that we have been abandoned or rejected by God the Father. Sometimes, all things seem to convince us that He has left us, but He is there. Always. If a father here on earth could show much love to his suffering son, how much more will our Father in Heaven show His love for us? God the Father will never forsake us or leave us. He is with us all the time. Only we have to believe in this so that we can feel His wonderful love for all of us...

Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you. See, upon the palms of my hands I have written your name; your walls are ever before me. Isaiah 49:15-15

6 Comments:

  • At 12:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    hi Father Bava. :) this entry knocked some sense into me. i was wailing that it seems that i'm a neglected daughter of God. this made me realize that He loves me immensely. thank you. :) may i link you up in my blog (http://loriethereselocara.blog-city.com)?

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger sonoftheprodigal said…

    no problem lorie. i will link you. i hope you drop by from time to time. btw, am not yet a priest. but i hope that someday i will.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Paula said…

    Incredible story . . . and funny, I just wrote about that verse this morning as I processed my Father's love for me. Thanks.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger sonoftheprodigal said…

    thanks paula. i noticed that you head a writers club. can i join you? and how?

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger sonoftheprodigal said…

    you're welcome berrymom!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home