In My Father's House

Poems, Prayers, Inspirations, Photos and Musings about life, love and what it means to be a child of the Father

Friday, December 30, 2005

Losing My Voice

On Christmas day I lost my voice. For two days I have not been able to communicate properly and with ease. I got a nasty pain in my throat which hurt everytime I tried to speak or cough. As a result I had a very quiet Christmas. I wasn't able to shout or comment on anything. I merely listened to conversations. And though I wanted to express an opinion or two, the nasty swelling in my throat prevented me from speaking.

I reserved my yeahs and nays to the most important questions of the day. I suppressed an irrepressible desire to laugh or joke about a funny incident or person. Oh, what a day! But this annoying experience has given me a rare insight into what I might be missing in life: the ability to focus my attention to what's being said without saying anything in return. I have been so used to speaking out loud. I am vocal with my complaints. I sometimes voice out criticisms and strong opinions with little regard to those who hear them.

The two days of quiet have given me an opportunity to hear and listen, to take everything in, to reserve my comments and to tailor my words to the necessary and the called for. I guess the incident is God's way of telling me to shut up because He has a very important thing to say. I just wish that I might give Him not only my two ears but my heart as well.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger purple_kangaroo said…

    That's so true. Listening well is a skill I really have to work at, and need to practice more.

    "Be still and know that I am God" is a hard one, too, but very rich.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger ~pen~ said…

    this resonates with me as i was ill before and during Christmas. today is the first day in weeks that i feel like *myself*.

    i had to be quiet - it all hurt so much. but in the quiet, we learn not only to really listen, but to digest what is being said and not simply regurgitate our words and opinions back without giving it pause. what a wise lesson.

    (thanks for your comment to my blog - i am happy you came by, but even more happy to have *found* you!)

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you know the saying : 2 ears and 1 mouth - use them in proportion.

    Listening is a skill. We need to develop it. Hubby reakons God sends me dreams as it's the only time He can get a word in . erm

    blessings for 2006

     
  • At 12:48 AM, Blogger Curious Servant said…

    When I was 18 I took a stack of books up to a sandstone cave on Saddleback mountain in California. I spent two andd a half months reading. Didn't speak or even see anyone.

    Afterwards I had a difficult time talking to folks. Maybe it was because of the heavy subject matter I had been reading, perhaps it was just social awkwardness, but it seemed that people were so ull of nothing. They all wanted to shout out what was on their minds without regard to anything.

     
  • At 3:11 AM, Blogger sonoftheprodigal said…

    I have a wish for this new year: that God would give me a listening heart for others. I have listened to my own chaos and have been deaf to others' plea. It's about time to give God my ears and my heart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home