In My Father's House

Poems, Prayers, Inspirations, Photos and Musings about life, love and what it means to be a child of the Father

Saturday, February 11, 2006

My Fish Stink, Lord! And my Bread is Soggy

Have you ever had days when nothing you did seemed right? Like one really bad event which led to something worse and turned really really worst. Yesterday was a classic day for me. First I lost two articles that had just been given to me by my friends. The first one was a black jacket that I had just left in our dining room. I know I am clumsy with my things but I did not expect that someone would actually take interest in a second hand jacket. I also left a new umbrella at the university (that was my 8th!). Two of my appointments were canceled. The web designer I was talking with couldn't get things done according to what we have agreed upon. Then I had a misunderstanding with someone who lives close to me. And on and on and on, like a long list of soiled laundry. These things can sometimes make me wish that I had stayed in bed all day.

Today's Gospel talks about Jesus multiplying fish and bread. A fellow scholastic preached about giving to God even the littlest that we have so He can make big things out of them. I'm wondering what would God do to my little "fishes" that stink. Will He multiply my mistakes? Increase the number of my short-comings? Increase my woes? Give me a string of fiascoes after one blunder?

St. Ignatius, our patron saint, teaches us to review our days before we retire to bed. From our experiences, we dialogue with Christ how our day fared. We give Him thanks for the blessings He gave us. We are to feel sorry for offending Him or for turning His invitation down to a fuller communion with Him. We also ask Him to give us courage and determination and strength to carry on even if we don't see the significance of the trials that come our way.

Though it may be embarrasing to give it to the Lord, I guess my fish still counts, no matter how stinky it may be. After all, Jesus likes stinky people.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger Photography said…

    AMEN to that weng

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger oldhall said…

    Thanks for the comment on mine- I enjoyed your fishy & stinky entry here.

    My comment- if your intentions were good, but misfortune happens anyway, it is sometimes useful to consider those misfortunes as blessings; and so the offering of praise that you give is just returning those things to Him that supplied them to you in the first place... perhaps, to your perception, these are stinky fishes, but they are blessings nevertheless, and should be celebrated as such.

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger sonoftheprodigal said…

    thanks old hall. same with you jeff.

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger Maryanne Moll said…

    hay, finally nai-link na rin kita. :)

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Paula said…

    I'm so thankful that God takes our stinky fish and sprays them with His grace.

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger rokel said…

    amen! :) nice post.. i really enjoy your blog :)

    thank God for blogs like yours. keep posting those enlightening entries! God bless you always :)

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger sonoftheprodigal said…

    paula and rox, thanks to your kind comments!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home