In My Father's House

Poems, Prayers, Inspirations, Photos and Musings about life, love and what it means to be a child of the Father

Saturday, March 25, 2006

When A Brother Leaves...


Last Thursday we serenaded a Jesuit brother who decided to leave the congregation. At four am, we sang him songs that we usually sing for those who have just arrived in the novitiate and for those who are departing (this life). There where about twelve of us, sleepy-eyed, unwashed Jesuits, trying to fight sleep and tears from overcoming us.

Then it just dawned on me, that this brother of mine, will cease to be a brother to us. Yes, he will teach in the same university that I, we shall teach, but the brotherhood is broken. I'm not saying that we are not friends anymore, we are. I will not be able to relate to him as I used to as a Jesuit. He will just be a colleague. And being colleague is just as good as being a brother, but it's different.

Looking back, I am again reminded that for us, That's what life is inside. We arrive. We stay for awhile. We leave at once. We leave for longer time. We depart, to never return. New ones arrive. And the cycle repeats itself over and over again. Meanwhile fierce friendships are forged. Life-long partnerships in mission are born. Leaving comes. Death comes. Life begins.

To Art and your out-of-this-world laughter and shrill voice: you will surely be missed.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    ^^ when a scholastic leaves, somebody comes. :D

    that's life...hahai.Ü

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger J.R. Woodward said…

    Hey brother,

    Thanks for your honest expression of loss. I sometimes have a hard time dealing with loss and grief well, but as I have been true to what I feel, I think it has been more real. Thanks for being real with us. My heart is drawn toward real people.

    Shalom.

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger elizaBeth Benson said…

    what an extraordinary image--the 12 of you rising before anything else on god's green earth and offering the songs of welcome...
    thank you. thank you. thank you. i will return to this image as i leave things i was once a part of...what a generous gift of love. beautiful.
    thank you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home